|Registration Deadline:||October 31, 2008 almost 14 years ago|
|To apply for Funding you must register by:||August 03, 2008 about 14 years ago|
- Jean Bourgain (Institute for Advanced Study)
- Emmanuel Breuillard (Université de Paris XI)
- Mei-Chu Chang (University of California, Riverside)
- Manfred Einsiedler (ETH Zürich)
- Nikos Frantzikinakis
- Hillel Furstenberg (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- Alexander Gamburd (University of California, Santa Cruz)
- Timothy Gowers
- Harald Helfgott (Georg-August-Universität zu Göttingen)
- Bernard Host
- James Lee
- Elon Lindenstrauss (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- Ryan O'Donnell (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Tom Sanders
- Peter Sarnak (Princeton University)
- Terence Tao (University of California, Los Angeles)
- Luca Trevisan
- Adrian Ubis
- Akshay Venkatesh (Institute for Advanced Study)
- Avi Wigderson
- Julia Wolf
- Tamar Ziegler (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
We explore environments in which rigid structural information can be deduced from rather soft combinatorial hypotheses. There will be a particular focus on finite and quantitative questions, although an important aspect of the workshop will be to explore connections with corresponding infinite and qualitative questions in ergodic theory, where as a general rule more is known. Topics include (but are not be limited to) the following.
- Freiman's theorem concerning the structure of sets with small doubling;
- The Gowers Inverse Conjecture, concerning the structure of sets containing many parallelepipeds;
- Finite versions of Ratner's theorem, concerning the structure of finite unipotent orbits in dynamical systems.
Accommodations: A block of rooms has been reserved at the Rose Garden Inn. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-992-9005 OR directly on their website. Click on “Reservations and Availability” then click on “Corporate” at the bottom of the screen and enter the word “math”. Enter Group Code CGMS67 in the “Guest Comment” box, and provide requested information The cut-off date for reservations is October 17, 2008. A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Durant. Please mention the workshop name and reference the following code when making reservations via phone, fax or e-mail: BQ0000. The cut-off date for reservations is October 3, 2008.Show less
To apply for funding, you must register by the funding application deadline displayed above.
Students, recent Ph.D.'s, women, and members of underrepresented minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. Funding awards are typically made 6 weeks before the workshop begins. Requests received after the funding deadline are considered only if additional funds become available.
MSRI does not hire an outside company to make hotel reservations for our workshop participants, or share the names and email addresses of our participants with an outside party. If you are contacted by a business that claims to represent MSRI and offers to book a hotel room for you, it is likely a scam. Please do not accept their services.
MSRI has preferred rates at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, depending on room availability. Guests can call the hotel's main line at 510-845-7300 and ask for the MSRI- Mathematical Science Research Institute discount. To book online visit this page (the MSRI rate will automatically be applied).
MSRI has preferred rates at the Graduate Berkeley, depending on room availability. Reservations may be made by calling 510-845-8981. When making reservations, guests must request the MSRI preferred rate. Enter in the Promo Code MSRI123 (this code is not case sensitive).
MSRI has preferred rates at the Berkeley Lab Guest House, depending on room availability. Reservations may be made by calling 510-495-8000 or directly on their website. Select "Affiliated with the Space Sciences Lab, Lawrence Hall of Science or MSRI." When prompted for your UC Contact/Host, please list Chris Marshall (email@example.com).
MSRI has a preferred rates at Easton Hall and Gibbs Hall, depending on room availability. Guests can call the Reservations line at 510-204-0732 and ask for the MSRI- Mathematical Science Research Inst. rate. To book online visit this page, select "Request a Reservation" choose the dates you would like to stay and enter the code MSRI (this code is not case sensitive).
Additional lodging options may be found on our short term housing page.
Nov 03, 2008
Nov 04, 2008
Nov 05, 2008
Nov 06, 2008
Nov 07, 2008